How can you talk with patients about vaccines? How can you address vaccine hesitancy, combat myths and misinformation, and save lives?
Himmelfarb Library recently added Let’s Talk Vaccines: A Clinician’s Guide to Addressing Vaccine Hesitancy and Saving Lives to our online and print collections. Let’s Talk Vaccines covers everything from the science of vaccine safety to the psychology of risk communication. It includes real-life examples and thoughtful, evidence-based techniques that will help patients understand vaccines and make informed decisions.
Let’s Talk Vaccines is useful to primary care providers, pediatricians, family physicians, nurse practitioners, and public health advocates. The book provides an excellent framework for how to approach difficult discussions, with the goal of improving the health of each patient as well as the community at large. The book uses a patient-centered approach to
- Directly address the increasing trend of parents choosing not to vaccinate their children, including the history and psychology of the anti-vaccine movement.
- Examine the issues underlying vaccine hesitancy, answering the common questions and concerns that vaccine-hesitant patients may raise during office visits.
- Help you dispel myths and fears that many patients have, with particular attention paid to misinformation and skepticism on social media.
- Cover the anti-vaccine movement’s assertions about autism, autoimmune illnesses and allergies, toxic ingredients, overwhelming the immune system, conspiracies, and more – bringing you up to date with the most common issues and effective approaches to the vaccine discussion.
- Provide practical tips on approaching the vaccine-hesitant parent and how anti-vaccine patients change their minds, with a focus on remaining a positive partner in your patients’ care and finding greater success in your vaccination efforts
Let’s Talk Vaccines is available online from both on- and off-campus locations. Himmelfarb Library’s print copy is currently available on the New Book Shelf (QR189 .L37 2020) and is available for checkout.