Healthy Living @ Himmelfarb is pleased to continue to offer a weekly mindfulness meditation session this semester!
Beginning on Thursday, September 3, a short pre-recorded guided meditation session will occur in Himmelfarb 305H at 12:30. The session will last about 20 minutes and occur weekly on Thursdays throughout the fall.
Not sure if mindfulness meditation is for you? Did you know that mindfulness practice has been shown to reduce stress, increase memory, reduce distractability and increase empathy? What could be better for health sciences students?
If you want to read more about the benefits of mindfulness practice for health sciences students, checkout some of these articles:
- Barbosa, P., Raymond, G., Zlotnick, C., Wilk, J., Toomey, R.,3rd, & Mitchell, J.,3rd. (2013). Mindfulness-based stress reduction training is associated with greater empathy and reduced anxiety for graduate healthcare students. Education for Health (Abingdon, England), 26(1), 9-14. doi:10.4103/1357-6283.112794 Full-Text @ Himmelfarb
- Mrazek, M. D., Franklin, M. S., Phillips, D. T., Baird, B., & Schooler, J. W. (2013). Mindfulness training improves working memory capacity and GRE performance while reducing mind wandering. Psychological Science, 24(5), 776-781. doi:10.1177/0956797612459659 Full-Text @ Himmelfarb
- Warnecke, E., Quinn, S., Ogden, K., Towle, N., & Nelson, M. R. (2011). A randomised controlled trial of the effects of mindfulness practice on medical student stress levels. Medical Education, 45(4), 381-388. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2923.2010.03877.x Full-Text @ Himmelfarb
- Fortney, L., & Taylor, M. (2010). Meditation in medical practice: A review of the evidence and practice. Primary Care, 37(1), 81-90. doi:10.1016/j.pop.2009.09.004 Full-Text @ Himmelfarb
- Hassed, C., de Lisle, S., Sullivan, G., & Pier, C. (2009). Enhancing the health of medical students: Outcomes of an integrated mindfulness and lifestyle program. Advances in Health Sciences Education : Theory and Practice, 14(3), 387-398. doi:10.1007/s10459-008-9125-3 Full-Text @ Himmelfarb
When: Thursdays throughout Fall 2015, 12:30-12:50 p.m.
Where: Himmelfarb 305H
If you have questions, please contact Laura Abate (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Image citation: Trentacoste, M. (2004). Balanced rocks. Availabled at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/squarewithin/411244