Yoga is widely practiced for exercise and relaxation, but what’s the evidence regarding its effect on health and/or disease? We’ve pulled together some key articles on yoga’s effectiveness as a therapy from Himmelfarb Library‘s collections:
- Natural Standard – Yoga – Information on yoga’s effectiveness at treating a number of conditions from asthma to weight loss.
- Cochrane Library: Yoga for epilepsy. – Updated review assesses the efficacy of yoga in the treatment of people with epilepsy.
- Essential Evidence Plus: Yoga effective for CTS – Patient-oriented evidence review on whether yoga is an effective treatment for carpal tunnel syndrome.
- Essential Evidence Plus: Yoga effective for low back pain – Patient-oriented evidence review on whether a yoga program is more effective than an exercise class or self-care in patients with chronic low back pain.
- PubMed search on yoga – check out the articles in the EBM/Reviews and EBM/Clinical Trials filters.
Himmelfarb Library was pleased to welcome Professor Linda Lang to lead a session on yoga as part of the Healthy Living @ Himmelfarb initiative. Professor Lang will be back in Himmelfarb to lead another session on November 5th on Yoga Nidra. You can RSVP for that session as well as Preventing Injuries While Exercising and a second Whole Foods Market Healthy Eating talk/cooking demo on the Healthy Living @ Himmelfarb website.